SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I come from Slovenia, but I am living since this February in

Customer Question

Hello. I am Anita and I come from Slovenia, but I am living since this February in London. I have a boyfriend in Philippines and we want to get marry and for that I need certificate of legal capacity. I just want to know where can I get that. Can I get that here in London or I need to go somewhere else?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Because Slovenia is part of Europe I don't need anything to live and work here. I have just national insurance number, address where I live and full time work
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need that, because all other papers I have. But if you can also give me some information how it is for him to come here. Because we will get married and after we will process visa for him (what he needs for that?) and about policy for him coming here?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 7 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am reviewing your information now.

You will need to get an affidavit commissioned at the British Embassy in Manila. They work with an appointment system and the link to book your appointment is here:

https://www.consular-appointments.service.gov.uk/fco/#!/british-embassy-manila/oaths-affirmations-and-affidavits/slot_picker

The guidance for getting married in Philippines: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/660268/Marriage_in_the_Philippines_leaflet_as_of_17_Nov_2017.pdf

The affidavit template is here for you where you can also find the checklist I have provided to you above:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/marriage-in-the-philippines

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/660269/Checklist_for_marriage_in_the_Philippines.pdf

I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But those informations are if I am British, but I am Slovenian with Slovenian passport... Is it same? Because he will come to London with me, or he cannot because I am not a British?

Apologies are you Slovenian but living in Britain? I hope I have all your information from your initial enquiry?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes so I am Slovenian living in London... But because it is part of Europe I didn't need any citizenship or residency or anything. So I just applied for national insurance number when I came and that's it

Thank you for the clarification. There is a requirement to have a declaration that you are free to marry and essentially Slovenia would have to confirm that. There is an embassy in Manila they would normally, like any other embassy be able to swear to an affidavit.I would strongly recommend that you call them when it is day time in the Philippines and ask if they swear to the affidavits or if it is ok for you to go to the embassy here in the UK. The template affidavit I have given you a link to above would guide you in making the template fit to your nationality. Their contact details are here:

Address: Centrex House, 206, Pilar Street, corner Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong, 1550 Metro Manila, Philippines

Phone: +63 2 8727 748