How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3574
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I come from Slovenia, but I am living since this February in

Customer Question

Hello. I am Anita and I come from Slovenia, but I am living since this February in London. I have a boyfriend in Philippines and we want to get marry and for that I need certificate of legal capacity. I just want to know where can I get that. Can I get that here in London or I need to go somewhere else?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Because Slovenia is part of Europe I don't need anything to live and work here. I have just national insurance number, address where I live and full time work
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need that, because all other papers I have. But if you can also give me some information how it is for him to come here. Because we will get married and after we will process visa for him (what he needs for that?) and about policy for him coming here?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am reviewing your information now.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 months ago.

You will need to get an affidavit commissioned at the British Embassy in Manila. They work with an appointment system and the link to book your appointment is here:!/british-embassy-manila/oaths-affirmations-and-affidavits/slot_picker

The guidance for getting married in Philippines:

The affidavit template is here for you where you can also find the checklist I have provided to you above:

I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But those informations are if I am British, but I am Slovenian with Slovenian passport... Is it same? Because he will come to London with me, or he cannot because I am not a British?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 months ago.

Apologies are you Slovenian but living in Britain? I hope I have all your information from your initial enquiry?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am Slovenian living in London... But because it is part of Europe I didn't need any citizenship or residency or anything. So I just applied for national insurance number when I came and that's it
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the clarification. There is a requirement to have a declaration that you are free to marry and essentially Slovenia would have to confirm that. There is an embassy in Manila they would normally, like any other embassy be able to swear to an affidavit.I would strongly recommend that you call them when it is day time in the Philippines and ask if they swear to the affidavits or if it is ok for you to go to the embassy here in the UK. The template affidavit I have given you a link to above would guide you in making the template fit to your nationality. Their contact details are here:

Address: Centrex House, 206, Pilar Street, corner Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong, 1550 Metro Manila, Philippines

Phone: +63 2 8727 748