Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Ive been without working for a week, due to being suspended

Customer Question

hi there, ive been without working for a week, due to being suspended from my job. But the reason for suspension and investigation was unclear to me, they keep giving me excuses for me not to start work, and because i know for certain that i have done nothing wrong and in fact show up to work on time, and never skip work, id like to make a grievance complaint against management. my question is, is this a good move ?
JA: Have you discussed the suspension with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: im thinking of doing so with a lawyer, and ive tried to discuss it with management but they keep running away
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: im a employee , but not on a fixed contract.im gonna join one today.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, so they have given you no reason for the suspension? What did they say when they suspended you?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
so for you to understand my situation better, ill give a little back story. Basically, Last friday i was called in the middle of my shift and told that due to a complaint that no one knows the nature of, i was gonna be placed working in Events and banqueting and not in my usual position as host, because i wasnt given much information and the work enviroment not being the best, i felt like someone from management might be on the attack, so i told my supervisor that i wasnt going to finish my shift and left. than the next day i show up to work , but first went to apologise to my fnb manager and explain to her what had happened, she listened to me and wrote down what i said, and explained that i was gonna be suspended for a few days so they could investigate my situation and come to a conclusion
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she said there was a very serious complaint
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
but she didnt know what it was
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
im baffled , because i cant see anyone making a serious complaint against me , i mean for what?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
anyways, its been a week , and my manager told me i still cant come into work because they havent yet reached a decision
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ive tried to talk to my manager tpday to tell her this cant go on, i need to know whats the decision and what the heck the complaint was?!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she brushed me away
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
so now im quite certain that ive done nothing wrong and that the complaint is a lie, knowing this place, when they dont like someone they get rid of them
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
and i think thats my case
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
and im thinking of filing a grievance letter
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
and wanted to know if you think its a good move on my part?

Hi thank you for your message, I understand, are you being paid whilst suspended?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no i am not

Hi thank you for your message, you should check any disciplinary procedure your work has produced and check it is being followed. At the same time you way which to contact ACAS to assist in the dispute. You should have been provided with a suspension letter that includes:

the reasons for the suspension and how long it is expected to last
your rights and obligations during the suspension. For example, that you should be contactable during normal working hours
a point of contact (such as a manager or HR) and you contact details for during the suspension
that the purpose of suspension is to investigate and is not an assumption of guilt.

You should normally receive full pay and benefits during a period of suspension therefore you should speak to the employer again. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.