C.Cornel
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
105439980

I purchased a domain and registered a company name while

Customer Question

I purchased a domain and registered a company name while working for a previous employer this year. I have since left that company and they wish to use the company and domain name (both are dormant right now) as they intend to change their name to match this. They are demanding that I transfer both to them as I acquired and set up both while I was a director of the company and it is their IP. I would be prepared to sell them but don’t know where I stand.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: consultant
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  C.Cornel replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is Cornel, I am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ther recommendation for the new name was mine and I purchased the domain name in May. At the time there was limited interest so when I resigned I registered a a company in the same name as I may start a business next year. Now they want both the registered company name and the domain name.
Expert:  C.Cornel replied 9 days ago.

I understand, I would have to review your employment agreement, would it be possible for you to either upload it here or send it via email?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’ll need to dig out the contract
Expert:  C.Cornel replied 9 days ago.

Yes, otherwise it would be impossible to provide the legal advice and be certain about your circumstances.