How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10010
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a CCTV camera outside my property. My housing

Customer Question

I have a CCTV camera outside my property. My housing association who is my landlord says that my tenancy agreement states that alterations must have written permission. My property is managed by the Co-op a Tenant Management Organisation. My landlord says that they allow CCTV camera which points at my front door only and does not point into the corridor because of my neighbours and visitors privacy. The Co-op who manage my property will give written consent only if the camera is facing the front door and does not face the corridor. I have had my CCTV camera outside my property for 5 years and got verbal permission over the phone from a surveyor who works at the housing association on the 18th May 2015. The housing association is aware of this but say that it must be written permission, they also say that although they are the landlord the co-op are the one's to give you written consent as they are managing my property.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: My CCTV camera points at my front door and into the corridor. I have put signs up that say CCTV in operation. As the Information Commission office have told me to do. The ICO have said, "It's perfectly legal to put CCTV outside your property." The housing association have said that they will not allow myself to have the CCTV camera pointing into the communal hallway and say I must remove it immediately. Is it legal for the housing association or the co-op to send someone round to my property to remove the camera and then bill me for it? I have taken my CCTV camera down for now because I want to know what are my rights. I also know that if I put the CCTV camera back up the housing association and the co-op will start action against me and will never give me written permission again to have a CCTV camera. I have spoken to Shelter who say that I could get evicted because I am in breach of my tenancy agreement because it says I must get written permission for alterations. My landlord has lost my tenancy agreement, but Shelter says this does not matter.
JA: Where is the co-op located?
Customer: In central london.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

It is good you have already spoken to the ICO as they deal with all things to do with date protection and data rights. The only justification I can think of is if the housing association claim other people's rights to privacy have been infringed as a human rights issue - but those individuals would need to make a complaint and until then, it would be illegal to interfere with your property being the CCTV camera. If they do interfere with it, you can speak to the Police on the 101 number and if required you could apply to the local county court for an injunction to stop them from doing this again.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hi, please let me know if any of what I have said requires clarification. I am happy to help. In the meantime if you could either leave a rating and click “submit”, or confirm that I have answered your question for you, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,