Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a Mercedes Benz the timing chain has snapped on the

Customer Question

Hi I have a Mercedes Benz the timing chain has snapped on the car and I have always had it serviced at Mercedes and it doesn’t have a service interval and they want to charge me £7000.00 for repairs any help will be appropriated.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in Sheffield
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have cooperated with Mercedes without any luck and the service manager at Mercedes Benz will back me with the case
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I have to pay any costs for this service
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Why do you thi k they should pay for the repairs? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks p

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok no problem sir
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The timing chain is for life and it is not recommended by Mercedes to be serviced
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Do you mean that the timing chain is guaranteed for life by Mercedes?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Are you sure as that is quite unusual? I mean if it says that there is no service interval that does not mean it is automatically guaranteed for life. Do you have any sort of guarantee document which specifically states that?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have spoken to Mercedes and they have advised the chain shouldn’t have snapped
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Thank you. Finally, please confirm when you bought the car and if it was from a dealer and privately and if it was new or second hand?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I bought it in 2017 it was ex demo vehicle it was approved Mercedes vehicle from Mercedes Benz of Sheffield
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Ok thanks. When a person buys a second-hand vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer law, specifically the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which requires goods sold by a business seller to be:

· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when received

· as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase

· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for

If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer will have certain legal remedies against the seller. Also note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods. The age and value of the vehicle will also be relevant and the expectations of older vehicles will certainly be lower. So in your case you will likely be claiming that the car is not of satisfactory quality or not fit for purpose.

The rights against the seller are:

1. Reject the vehicle and request a refund - this must be done within 30 days of purchase or delivery.

2. Repair or replacement – this can be done within the initial 30 days or after, if that deadline has passed and a rejection is no longer possible. If a repair is not possible or has failed, the vehicle can still be rejected for a refund, or if the consumer wants to keep it, they can ask for a price reduction. If asking for a refund or a replacement, the current value of the vehicle will be used, taking into account any depreciation in value for usage by the buyer since purchase.

Based on which option you are wishing to exercise, you must contact the seller and advise them. If they refuse to discharge their legal obligations under consumer laws, you should remind them of these as per the details above. If they still appear reluctant to assist, write to them one final time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to honour your legal rights, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you