How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1241
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I’ve just discovered that there

Customer Question

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve just discovered that there has been a gas company taking money out of my business account. This has not been authorised and the amount totalling is around £2000. I’m having a lot of difficulty trying to get this money back. The company never calls back and my bank are useless. It’s been 7 days since I raised the issue with my bank. (Cashplus business) how to I go forward with this issue?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve sent everything the bank has asked for. They then asked for proof that it was an error but I don’t know how to give them that. I’ve gave them all the details for the company to see if they can get what there looking for.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s everything.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it the same law in Scotland?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

Although I am not qualified in Scots Law, the basic litigation process is still the same.

I suggest that you send a pre-action letter of claim to the gas company for breach of contract an misappropriation demanding a refund in full of the monies that they have taken without permission.

If they do not reply, or do not refund you, you should issue court proceedings for a refund of the full amount.

Damages of £2K will make this a Small Claim and therefore you can do this yourself online. Solicitors costs are generally not recoverable and the judges are sympathetic to litigants in person.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That’s great thank you very much.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

Glad to be of help! :)

Please close this matter and give me a five star rating in order to conclude.