How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5413
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My daughter, grand daughter and her husband are in Oslo

Customer Question

My daughter, grand daughter and her husband are in Oslo whilst she completes her MA. She married in Oslo , he is Canadian. She is comming home when MA is completed. What is the position regarding her husband comming too?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Nothing as we are at stArt of process
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are at start of process. You are the first contact
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, so to confirm what is your daughters nationality?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No papers have been filled. My daughter completes her Masters in 4 months and needs to return home after this. We are happy to sponsor and support them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Daughter and grand daughter British her husband Canadian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are we still talking?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, understood. Her husband would need to apply for a spouse visa, they will need to show they have been in a relationship for two years and that they are married, he will also need to show that he has a good knowledge of English though as he is from Canada if he has a degree that was taught in English then that will prove this. Also they will need to show they can support themselves this means they must have a combined income of £18,600 a year (more if they have children) although savings over £16,000 would also count. The spouse visa would be granted for 2.5 years initially and then can be extended for a further 2.5 years after which her husband could get indefinite leave to remain (ILR) and later citizenship. He can apply online here:

When he applies he will need to supply all the following:

You’ll need to provide:

all your names
your date of birth
your current passport or other valid travel ID
copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
a copy of your biometric residence permit, if you have one
details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made
details of any criminal convictions
your national insurance number, if you have one
your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you’re applying from outside the UK

a certified translation of any document that is not in English or Welsh

He will also need to have need a blank page in his passport on which to put the visa when applying outside the UK. He will also need to prove his financial position with your daughter to show the savings or income. Finally it will cost £1523 for him to apply. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.