12826847

My ex employer is prosecuting me for fraud of up to 2500

Customer Question

Assistant: Where is your ex-employer? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK BP
Assistant: What steps has your ex-employer taken so far?
Customer: Investigation at work. To which I was advised that resigning with immediate effect would stop the process. But I have been informed by a colleague they intend to prosecute
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I admitted to it during the investigation. And that all I want is to pay back what is owed. And do whatever is possible to not go to prison as I have found another job.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

What would you like to ask about this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What is the best way to go around getting the best possible outcome for myself?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Just to check are they prosecuting you in a sense they are informing the police about it or are they just making a court claim themselves?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do not know the full extent. One of the managers has been boasting about how they plan to "find me, lock me up and throw away the key". So I can only assume that they would be contacting the police based on this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My colleague asked me to look at this as it is my area.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Are you asking what sentence you would face?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes. And what I could do to reduce any sentence if that's at all possible.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

What was the nature of your employment? how did you take this amount of money?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was manager. I took scratchcards.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

If you are facing charges for a theft of 2 1/2 thousand pounds then you would probably escape a custodial sentence largely because the amount is fairly lot for. However, year were the manager so the breach of trust is greater and I suppose this was sustained over a long period of time so there is aggravation.

Nevertheless, it is a low amount relatively speaking and so a custodial sentence is unlikely. It would be a community order. It is too serious for a fine.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The amount I do not believe to be that high. It was a one off act of desperation and I would not have been able to leave with that much unnoticed. But that is what they seem to be claiming it is.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

It might be worth challenging the amount. Have they called the police yet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not to my knowledge but this information has come from someone inside the business. I have not recieved any correspondence yet.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Ok, well we just wait until they do.