Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Our daughter has been in Australia for almost two years on a

Customer Question

our daughter has been in Australia for almost two years on a Working Holiday Visa. Shortly after she left, the Student Loans Service started pestering us. We have given them all her earnings details: mostly bar/ restaurant work. However she did have a job with a pharmaceutical firm for 6 months ( maximum allowed). We were still pestered every monthe by Student Loans, wh also threatened us with prosecution. AT NO TIME Has SHE REACHED THE THRESHOLD FOR PAYING BACK HER STUDENT LOAN. However, my husband (retired Professor Emeritus got so worn down by the barrage of letters from them, that he started paying them at the rate of £25 a month, which they asked for. Are these people answerable to no-one? It seems to me that they are demanding money under false pretences, and should be held responsible for their actions. We know many students who graduated years ago and have never been persecuted in this way. Hoping you can be of some help.
JA: Has he talked to a lawyer about this? What country does he live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: We live in Southampton, UK. Our daughter is still in Australia. My husband seems to think that Student Loans are a law unto themselves.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None, my husband is paying monthly. Whenever he phoned the to complain: monthly, for a long time. The person at the end of the line said they never kept e-mails, etc., but threw them away every month!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, if you have not done so already you can raise a formal complaint with student loans, they state they will acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days of receiving it. The team will the investigate your complaint and provide a response within 15 working days of receipt. If you are unhappy with the response you can ask for a senior manager to review your complaint. Beyond that if your complaint still remains unresolved, you can ask for it to be escalated to an Independent Assessor where they will carry out an impartial review. This is the final stage of the SLC complaints process. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.