How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1241
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

We have found an old deposi`t account book which belonged to

Customer Question

We have found an old deposi`t account book which belonged to my father in law who is now deceased. It has not been closed as far as we can ascertain. I checked with the bank and as it is not on their computers they assume it is closed. How can i get them to check if the account is still valid. The last date accessed was 1970
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norwiuch
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just phoned the bank
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

You need to send copies of your late father's death certificate and grant of probate (certified as true by a solicitor) to the bank and ask that they close the account and pay the funds into a bank account nominated by a beneficiary of his will.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This account book is pre decimalisation does this effect this issue
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

No, the bank will convert guineas and shillings to pounds and pence.