How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1118
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I have been offered a promotion that I took subsequently

Customer Question

Hi, I have been offered a promotion that I took subsequently turned down as I didn’t feel it was right for me, they managed to persuade me to take the job and since then I have suffered from terrible anxiety that i have seen a doctor. i now want to tell them I dont want that job (I dont officially start it til March) and want to return to my old one even though they are restructing
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No not yet hence me contacting hyou
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employed been there 19 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just wanted to know what I should say to them when I turn the job down and the implications
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you i look forward to hearing from you imminently
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a solicitor to help you.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

Do you want your employer to know about your health issues and make reasonable adjustments for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I just tell them that I am suffering from anxiety and cant take the job am I better to tell them I’m going to see someone or not?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

I think you should tell them that is the reason why you cannot accept the job.

But it is entirely you decision.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can they sack me for it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Or make me redundant
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been there 19 years
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

An an employer can always dismiss an employee. But if you have been there 19 years, they must have a fair reason for so doing and follow a fair investigation and disciplinary procedure, or a fair redundancy process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you hopefully I won’t need to contact you again about this
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 months ago.

I am glad that this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards