Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Could you give me an advice please? Now I am 32weeks

Customer Question

Hello! My name is*****Could you give me an advice please?
Now I am 32weeks pregnant. I work as a self employed at this beauty salon from August. I have began to work in the salon from 10 weeks pregnancy as a self employed and the owner of salon of course knew about my pregnancy. I was paid hourly 12£ per hour and had 10% of sales of products, up to 40 working hours per week. My owner took a new manager to our team and 3weeks ago they together decided to cut my hours and my salary without no reason for it. Now they show me new condition of work- 8.21£ per hour, and only 20 hours per week. What rights I have about this situation?
Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Manager from my work, yes. Nobody else
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Self employed
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 8 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 8 days ago.

If you are self-employed (as opposed to a worker or an employee), you cannot bring a claim for constructive unfair dismissal as you do not have an employment contract from which to be dismissed.

However, you may be able to bring claims for discrimination, victimisation, harassment and bullying based on the protected characteristics of sex, pregnancy and maternity.

Seek the advice of the government's employment Advice Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) about bringing an employment tribunal claim.

You must act quickly as there is a strict three month limitation period from the date of the act, or last in a chain of acts, complained of. However, ACAS's Early Conciliation Process will "freeze" the limitation period.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 8 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I should write to Acas?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 8 days ago.

Call them. Use the number on their website.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It’s will be the best way? Do think they can help me in my situation?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 8 days ago.

Yes, using the ACAS Early Conciliation Process is mandatory now in all employment claims. If you issue a Claim Form in the Tribunal, it will be referred to ACAS for the EC Process and the Proceedings will be stayed.

ACAS also provide free impartial legal advice which is useful to claimants who cannot afford their own legal fees.