How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 37435
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughter is at uni and is considering dropping out. She

Customer Question

Hello my daughter is at uni and is considering dropping out. She lives in a private rental shared with 3 others and I am concerned even if she moves back home, she will not longer be a student, will we have to pay council tax on the property and if so, as she shares with 3 others will it be the full amount for the house or a split between
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Hi Pearl, sorry I sent that too soon - no action has been taken as yet - we will have to pay the rent until August 2020 and I am really concerned we will have to pay council tax even if she is not living there. I am extremely concerned that we would have to pay the council tax for the house rather than just her room - I am sorry I don't know how this works, I just want to be clear before she makes her decision
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Hove
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Does the agreement say its joint and severally liable?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Each student has their own contract for their room in the house, so severally
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please may I have a refund, this is taking far longer than your website stated and also stated if one not satisfied a refund would be given many thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Ok, you can email customer services.