Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My daughter and her husband have split up, he is in the

Customer Question

hello, my daughter and her husband have split up , he is in the process of trying to buy somewhere, hes just been told that he will have to pay 6percent stamp duty , which means he cant afford to buy.Is there any way around this please, its causing him health problems
JA: Where are your daughter and her husband? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uttoxeter staffordshire
JA: What steps have your daughter and her husband taken so far?
Customer: the current home is on the market, and he is trying to buy a how valued at 184 thousand.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have two children, and they are going to split the care on a 50 50 basis
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 16 days ago.

I am afraid there is nothing he can do to avoid the enhanced Stamp Duty, which will be payable if the marital home is not sold on the same day as him completing the purchase. The Stamp Duty payable will be £6,700.00.

However, as and when he is removed form the Deeds to the marital home (or if the marital home is sold) he will be able to claim back the enhanced element of the Stamp Duty which will be £5,520.00 PROVIDED this is done within 3 years of him completing his purchase.

I am sorry this is not the answer you may have been looking for.

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer with 3-5 stars.

Kind Regards

Al