Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

It's regarding purchase of my partner's freehold Assistant:

Customer Question

Hi, it's regarding purchase of my partner's freehold
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have written to the freehold directly he has responded with an offer. We live in a converted house and the other lease holder has advised he has spoken to the freeholder also and it's higher. He wants us to go 50/50 but has provided no documentary evidence
Assistant: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: Cornwall
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The flat below is a 2 bedroom , we are a 1 bed. I am concerned he is trying to make us pay more
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

Once matters progress, you both will need to instruct a Solicitor to sort out the paperwork and Land Registry so the true purchase price will certainly out before your partner needs to commit. So, you do not have anything to worry about as regards being conned by the below leaseholder.

In the meantime, can't your partner speak with the freeholder to clarify the position?

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer with 3-5 stars.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The other lease holder has advised he has instructed a solicitor and needs us to confirm urgently if we agree to the value he has advised. Plus half the solicitor fees. He hasn't sent anything to us showing the value has changed for example the letter from the freeholder confirming the value has been increased. I don't want to agree to this until I have seen the correspondence, secondly he has not told us which solicitor is instructed. The freeholder him self is a elderly man and has only ever corresponded in writing. Can you advise if a freehold would be the same regardless of the size difference in each property
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you respond to this?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I do not want to pay 44 for the call
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please do not call
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I would strongly advise not to agree to the offer until you have instructed a solicitor. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org
To answer your second question yes the freehold can be the same regardless of size difference of each property.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.