How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK Solicitor John Your Own Question
UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1015
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK Solicitor John is online now

Who regulates the Motor Insurers' Bureau, London, Complaint

This answer was rated:

Who regulates the Motor Insurers' Bureau
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Complaint procedure
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to make a complaint, i've tried customer services and the secretary of state for transport - as per their website. They are not regulated by the financial conduct authority so I don't know where to complain next?

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding.

I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly which will be later on today.

Hello, they are not a company like most insurance companies so they would not be regulated by the FCA. They are a government body and a member of the Council of Bureaux.

The ways to make a complaint, is as you have stated, detailed on their website.


T: 01908 830001

Address: Motor Insurers’ Bureau, 6-12 Capital Drive, Linford Wood, Milton Keynes, MK14 6XT

As per their website, they provide a response within 10 working days.

If you are dissatisfied with this you can complain to the Chief Executive of the MIB, and if you are still dissatisfied you can write to the Minister for Transport at Department for Transport Licensing, Roadworthiness & Insurance Division, Great Minster House,***** London SW1P 4DR but you must follow the above complaints procedure first.

I hope this helps, and would be grateful if you could take a moment to provide a positive rating, kind regards, John.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi John, thank you for your reply. We have got to the stage of having exhausted the complaints procedure and the Minister for Transport replied that they do not deal with individual case complaints. How can I escalate the case please? Can a complaint be made to the Council of Bureaux?

No that is the only way to complain against the MIB and there are steps to follow for it to be dealt with. That isn’t correct they do not deal with individual complaints, as what other complaints do they deal with. It is for matters like this. And if they told you that then they should have provided a referral for who you should complain to. There is a complaints procedure to follow and it should be fully explained to you what the options are and how your complaint is being dealt with to include timescales and what investigatory measures are taken. It is true you cannot “jump” the procedure as you have to follow it accordingly before they even deal with it. There are steps to take in complaining so you cannot just make a complaint or escalate it without an outcome from the internal procedure.

I do not believe the council of bureaux deal with complaints or escalations but you can try contacting them. Regards, John.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if the Secretary of State for Transport won't respond/review a complaint - what options do I have? Trading standards?

The Minister of Transport will deal with it but only if the Chief Executive of the MIB wasn’t able to. The Chief Executive will will deal with it only if the MIB aren’t able to. And with the MIB they have certain steps to follow. It is not possible to complain to the MIB and if not happy to immediately go to the Minister of Transport. They will not look at it. Your complaint will get investigated, you have this right. These steps also take time. So if you are confirming to me that the correct process has been followed as above and the Minister of Transport has refused to deal with it then you need to refer the matter the Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you the ICA is the bit I needed. Much appreciated.

Ok, you’re welcome thank you. Please also leave a rating and best of luck. Regards, John.

UK Solicitor John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you