waqqas memon
waqqas memon,
Experience:  Senior Manager at MMBA Accountants
106937463

I have a question that deals with double taxation and my

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question that deals with double taxation and my ability to deny the company I work for, who is a US Company on contract with the US Government. They are trying to take out UK taxes from my pay and I want them to stop it since according to the Double Taxation Agreement, as I have read it straight from the UK HMRC web site, do not have to pay UK taxes, especially when on my Work Visa and BRP it states "NO PUBLIC FUNDS". So I feel I should not have to pay into the public funds because I am a US Citizen ,working for a US Company, on a US Government Contract and being paid in US Dollars, etc....
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am physically in th UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I Have sent my company multiple emails, even explaining the double taxation document, and I also wrote a letter, signed it stating that I do not authorize them to take out UK taxes, and they just told me I don't have a choice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Guess that is enough for noe now
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 days ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
no
Expert:  waqqas memon replied 5 days ago.
Hi, how long will you be physically based in the UK under the assignment? And are you being paid through payroll or are you a freelance/llc contractor? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well it changes, it was initially only for 1 year, but it got extended. And now we have heard that the contract is up for rebid this next year. So don't know, our Visa's were for 5 year's, they state that we are here to work for DOD (US Government) and "NO PUBLIC FUNDS". We are paid in US$ into our US Banks. Plus as I read Article 4 of the Double Taxation we are considered Resident of the US, which means NO UK Tax. Article 14 also reads similar in that it states that we are NOT to pay UK Income Tax. Then Article 19 "Government Service" further solidifies that we are not responsible and do not have to pay UK Income Tax.
Expert:  waqqas memon replied 3 days ago.

Hi, I am going to talk to my colleague who deals with US taxation and it may be a day or so before i can get back to you. If you are happy to wait then let me know or if you prefer a quicker answer than I can opt out. Thanks,