SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My dad died 11 years ago.my two sisters & me are still

Hi, my dad died 11 years ago.my two sisters & me are still waiting for our £10,000 each share of my dad's will. My stepmum who lives at the b&b he owned worth
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: sorry it was worth at least £600,000 11 years ago. Is there a time limit before we lose our share if we don't ask for it?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I don't have a copy of will but I can get one although we were all told this at the time by my step mum & my sisters have seen the will. My step mum put the business up for sale at the time at £895,000 for a year or maybe a bit longer but did not sell. She said about 6 years ago she was thinking of raising the £30,000 for us but hasn't. There is no mortgage/loan on the property.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what info they need other than I think the property was in my dad's name only & they were going through a divorce but he died before that. My half brother & sister were to receive about £200,00 between them. My sister recently advised my that my stepmum panics if she has less than £30,000 in her bank account and myself & two sisters are not in good financial positions. I am 59, sisters 57 & 55 & step mum is 63, thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry just saw one of your questions.......the area is Preston, Lancashire

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. The Limitations Act 1980 provides for the period after which you would not be able to bring a claim for your inheritance. Claims to receive what was left to you in your deceased father's estate, being under a Will, must be brought within 12 years of the right to the interest arising. This is the case where there is no argument over whether you should be given an interest/entitlement to share in the estate. So if the Will stated that you were to get your share on death and not a much later future date you are risking not being able to claim as your dad passed on 11 years ago, I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best