How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9027
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have been scammed by a few people claiming to be working

This answer was rated:

hello i have been scammed by a few people claiming to be working on behalf of the federal government offering grants in return for sending so much money , after sending a total of £700 and told my grant would be delievered by fedex only to be told after 4 hours that had to pay a further 3000 or pay a further 2000 as my grant got held up by the bureau of economics analisys claiming that i had told others which i have not but they will not listen just claiming that they want more money how do i get my £700 back as they have refused to reinburse me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i live in the UK but can you help me please
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have asked politely for my funds back they have refused
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: all they keep saying is send more funds and i will get my grant now this has left me with no funds for paying my rent along with house hold bills
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the only thing i have is on my computer ,laptop or tablet

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You are unlikely to succeed in suing these people mainly because even if you did get a CCJ against them, enforcing it is another matter (they are scammers so commit crimes and they are not going to be bothered by a county court order). To sue them you would also need their full names and addresses which I doubt you have.

The first thing to do is to report this to the Police and to Action Fraud so that you can obtain a crime reference number. The Action Fraud website where you can report the crime is here: http://

Once you have done that then see if your bank or credit card company can do a charge-back on the monies. If you paid with a credit card you may be able to get them to reimburse you. If you paid by debit card or made bank transfers then your bank may be subscribed to the voluntary code to refund you if you have been scammed. The bank can charge-back up to 120 days from the date you sent money or paid money to a scammer.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you for your help i will report them to the said department , my bank was not involved as i had to pay by amazon gift cards
ps give you a five star rating

OK, many thanks and I hope you get it sorted.

Have a good evening.

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you