How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 67801
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I want to give an electrician who made new electrics and

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I want to give an electrician who made new electrics and ventilation in my business to court, I paid 3700.A month later, one electrical socket broke and an invoice for electricity consumption of £ 670 came, which was a shock for me because my company consumes energy at £ 98
per month, In a few weeks the whole dashboard got out-exchanged. Later the ventilation got broken-repaired. At the end there was a huge electrical short circuit and all things connected to the power burned at that time. It was: a printer, telephone, machine lights, coffee making machine, payment terminal and many other small things. To sum up, I paid 3700 but lost around 1000 for small things and a lot of time to make calls and a lot of stress. To this day I am not sure if I am safe working in my shop.I do not know how to start with this case-I newer been in the court before
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am from Tunbridge Wells
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked him to pay me for it but he did not for around 6 months
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No,that all

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What exactly do you want to pursue him for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello . My name is ***** ***** Polish and I am very sorry my English is not very good.
I would like a refund for energy consumption of £ 500 and a refund for a coffee machine around £ 400

ok thanks. If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much.Your answer helps a lot.
Kind regards
Jadwiga Elzbieciak

All the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you