Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Could some one answer this for me ..I have a friend from USA

Customer Question

Could some one answer this for me ..I have a friend from USA who collapsed on his way to meet me..he is currently in a hospital in Scotland..he needs to pay his Bill's but is unable to get to his bank in London.. the hospital says I cannot pick him up because they will not release him till the Bill's are paid ..I was going to take him to his bank ..he is only getting minimum treatment ..it has been found he has cancer so this delay in getting him to his bank is causing him great concern for the delaying of the correct treatment..from what I understand he and his dr. Have approached the bank ..but with no response...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Have you met this person in real life before?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No but have corresponded for 2 yrs..
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No I am capable to deal with this ..I have talked to I assume a dr.. but having told him and dr, I have no money and would not part with any money..I just want to know if it is a legal practice in UK to hold someone till a bill is paid ..I am well aware of scammers out there..
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. If you are well aware of scammers out there, there should certainly be alarm bells ringing about this to be honest. Having corresponded with someone for 2 years does not in any way guarantee that they are genuine. Also I have been dealing with scams for many years and have seen this exact storyline numerous times before so watch out. In any event, it is certainly not the case that patients are not allowed to leave hospitals until bills are paid – that would be detaining them against their will, which is unlawful. Assuming they are not entitled to free medical care in the UK, they will simple get billed for it and if they fail to pay the hospital will pursue civil recover against them through the courts.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you