Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have had a very costly experience with an emergency

Hello, I have had a very costly experience with an emergency plumbing company and want to bring it to your attention.The leak happened on a Sunday morning, water leaking from a radiator. I found an emergency company online, who didn't show the charges up front. When I contacted them on the phone, a £60 call out charge was mentioned, if I wanted a response within 30 minutes. An engineer turned up after about an hour, and started looking at the leaking radiator, and analysing the problem. After about 10 minutes a further engineer turned up. They then commenced work. After an hour I received an invoice for call-out charge, one hour's labour, plus V.A.T. totalling £948.00 !!!! I was under the impression that this was the bill...but no, after I made payment....and after a short period, asked if I wanted them to continue and finish the job. They managed to extend their time to a total of 2 hours 14 minutes, and then sent a final bill for £725.99.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Chiswick London W4, and the company is South Star Plumbers,
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I had to pay the bills,it was a very stressful situation,and I feel I was completely conned, and want to bring it to your attention. The company's address is 12/43 Armoury Way. Wandsworth, London SW18 1HQ.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so, although I have tried to claim back off my insurance, and they have only agreed to give me less than half of the total bill.Regards *****

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to ask me about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have described my experience with this company, and would like to know your views , and if you think their charges are justified.

Are you seeking a refund from them?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That might be difficult I think. I just wanted to report them to you and ask you what you thought about their practise, and what, if anything, could be done about it, to stop people getting ripped off in this way.

I think you are due some reduction/compensation under the consumer rights act 2015

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a reduction within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.