How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3584
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

Me and my husband live in UK from one year. Now we take our

Customer Question

Hi ! I am Genoveva ********. Me and my husband live in UK from one year. Now we take our children and I need to rent a house but my recent agency do not give reference. Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork? Customer: Yes. I find a house and apply I have reference from work but from the agency want to pay them 1460 pounds for reference Assistant: Where is the house located? Customer: Langwith NG20 Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I have all documents that I don't have to give them this money.

Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 months ago.

Is the fee of £1,460 a charge for doing the reference or a figure that they are claiming is due to your previous landlord for damages caused to the property that you lived in before?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They want the money for bills and rent who are already payd
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 5 months ago.

If you have evidence they have already been paid you should get these from the services providers and give them. They cant expect you to pay for something that you have already paid for and the contracts are personal to you.

Unfortunately landlords/agents are not obliged by law to give references. There is really nothing you can do to force them, however you could just explain to the new landlord that unfortunately the previous landlord will not give a reference and are requesting a payment to do that when you cleared all your bills before vacating. You could go as far as showing them copies of your bank statements if your rent was paid by direct debit or standing order or if your bills were paid that way too so they see for themselves that the previous landlord/agent is being unreasonable.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience by clicking on the row of stars at the top on your screen. Do not hesitate to send me any follow on questions should you have any after your rating, I am still able to respond to you