SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Me and my husband live in UK from one year. Now we take our

Customer Question

Hi ! I am Genoveva Vasileva. Me and my husband live in UK from one year. Now we take our children and I need to rent a house but my recent agency do not give reference.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yes. I find a house and apply I have reference from work but from the agency want to pay them 1460 pounds for reference
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Langwith NG20
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have all documents that I don't have to give them this money.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience

Is the fee of £1,460 a charge for doing the reference or a figure that they are claiming is due to your previous landlord for damages caused to the property that you lived in before?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They want the money for bills and rent who are already payd

If you have evidence they have already been paid you should get these from the services providers and give them. They cant expect you to pay for something that you have already paid for and the contracts are personal to you.

Unfortunately landlords/agents are not obliged by law to give references. There is really nothing you can do to force them, however you could just explain to the new landlord that unfortunately the previous landlord will not give a reference and are requesting a payment to do that when you cleared all your bills before vacating. You could go as far as showing them copies of your bank statements if your rent was paid by direct debit or standing order or if your bills were paid that way too so they see for themselves that the previous landlord/agent is being unreasonable.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience by clicking on the row of stars at the top on your screen. Do not hesitate to send me any follow on questions should you have any after your rating, I am still able to respond to you