How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15281
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Law Question Here...
Sam is online now

My daughter had a job paid weekly paid job through PAYE but

Customer Question

My daughter had a job paid weekly paid job through PAYE but wasn't supplied pay slips. The job lasted approx 6 weeks. However she received a tax bill the following year but didnt earn enough to have paid any tax let alone a bill. After much investigation with employer turns out he teported someone else's earnings against my daughter's NI number. He cant change the reported earnings and HMRC wont do anything until he has sorted his error which he is or appears to be incapable of doing. This has been back and forth for 18 months now. How can my daughter get her PAYE account corrected and income tax back when she was never given salary slips to prove her earnings and employer wont provide her with copies.
Assistant: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She was based in Essex then.
Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: spoken to, visited and and text many times with employer and contacted HMRC. No further forward other than working out how error was first made.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it thank you
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben, thank you for responding. I would like to know how my daughter can get her money back from the employer if he is not willing or able to make the correction of incorrect NI number. She has been going back and forth for 18 months and is no further than she was all that time ago. If he wont correct does she have any legal recourse to get this sorted?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. I will transfer this to our Tax section as they may be better placed to assist you.

Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Write a letter to the employer stating that you will report them to HMRC if they fail to correct this as a matter of urgency as they are required by law to amend the year end P60 and any monthly reports made in error - and if they fail to do so you will ask HMRC to investigate them - then send a copy of that letter to HMRC employers section and ask them to investigate the matter under employer error - as the employer has recorded incorrect information against the wrong employer and being aske3d to pay tax that isn't even hers to pay - send that to HMRC with copy of your daughters bank statements, which will show the pay she received - Thanks Sam

Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

HI Can I assist further? Thanks Sam