Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a question about a speeding offence

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was offered a Speed Awareness Course but decided I did not want to do this but would accept a Fixed Penalty. The letter I was sent said I should get this option if I did not book the training course. But now, I have received a letter saying I will be prosecuted in Magistrates court because "The Defenadant was offered the Speed Awareness Course, no course was booked. Out of time to issue Fixed Penalty.". The offense was 26 June 2019.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was expecting to be offered a FPN and do not see why this has not been offered.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The fine in Court will be a lot larger than the FPN for me.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Jamie here is my question
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was expecting to be offered a FPN and do not see why this has not been offered.The fine in Court will be a lot larger than the FPN for me.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This was for driving at 37 mph in a 30 mph zone
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The letter sent to me clearly offered the 3 options of 1) speed awareness course 2) fixed penalty of £100 and 3 points and 3) have the matter heard in court
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Under option 2 it said "if you do not book course by 23/10 an offer of a fixed penalty may be sent to you as an alternative to court action.
Whcih I find confusing as I do not understand why it says may be offered since the FP is offered as an option? The procedural notice I received now says that on 28/11 a decision was made to prosecute as no course was booked and completed (which is correct). It then says "out of time to issue the Fixed penalty" which to me is nonsense. Why haven't they issued the penalty??
Many thanks in advance.

You had a number of choices:

Accepted fixed penalty or if you did not want that take the speed course, but you had to book that by 23/10

You should have replied by 23/10 saying you wanted the fixed penalty.

As such you plead guilty by post and put down it was a misunderstanding and why.

The Court may give you the same fine as a fixed penalty.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.