How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Miles Bentley Your Own Question
Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 899
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Miles Bentley is online now

Im just wondering where I stand with tools I had pinched out

This answer was rated:

im just wondering where I stand with tools I had pinched out of a works vehicle, I was told they were insured but the insurance didn't pay out as there was no damage to the van, work then said they would replace a tool a month, its now 7 months since I've receive anything and 15 months since the break in
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: where are who ?
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: the police were informed so were the insurance company, they started to purchase replacement tools inn jan feb and march but I've not received any thing since then
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor with over 19 Years of experience in the UK.

Try to resolve the complaint informally, if this does not work then you need to make a formal written complaint to your insurer. Ask your Insuere to confirm its formal complaints procedure so you can follow the same.

When writing a formal insurance complaint letter, ensure you include:-

  • put the date
  • give your name and policy number
  • Mark the letter ‘complaint’ clearly at the top
  • include any evidence you have to support your complaint
  • say what you would like the company to do to put things right
  • explain your complaint clearly, stating what you’re unhappy about and when it happened
  • state that if you are unhappy with the company’s response you will take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (see below).

Please see a template complaint letter attached.

If you are not satisfied with the response you can compliant to the Financial Ombudsman Service, this is free.

Before you can use the Ombudsman Service, you have to follow your insurance company’s official complaints procedure.

Once you’ve complained they have eight weeks to respond.

You can contact the Ombudsman Service initially for advice, but they can only act after you get a final response from the insurance company, or as soon as the eight weeks are up.

Please contact the Ombudsman directly, please see

The Ombudsman’s decision is final and binding on your insurance company.

If you are still not happy with it, you can still take the case to Small Claims Court (if claiming under £10,000), but you will have to pay an Issue Fee.

I hope this helps - please accept the answer and give me a 5-star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many Thanks.


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is this for me to follow up with or the company i work for ?

If you are the named insured on the policy then it is for you to follow up, if however, it is the Company that is the named insured under the policy, then Claim is best coming from them, but of course, you can do all the work behind the scenes if you Employer is happy with the same.

Can I assist you any further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thank you. just a quick one, when this happened the insurance company said they wouldnt pay out because there was no damage to the van. ive done some research and theres devices that wil unlock vans, so there does need damage to enter them, if i dont get any where with the insurance does it fall on my employer to replace as they were in there van and in works time when this happened

You should present it to the Insurance Company via your employers, with evidence of devices that will unlock vans, so there does need damage to enter them, if this fails then you should ask your employers to reimburse you for the tools. If the employer refuses, you could try to pursue your employers on the basis that your tools were stolen from a van that had inadequate security (if you have proof of the same). But it would best to keep your employers on side till they have may a compliant to their insurers and possibly taken the matter to the Ombudsman.

I hope this assists.
If you need a CALL to discuss and more in-depth advice, then please let me know, if not then kindly leave a Positive Rating by clicking the STARS on the Top of your Screen. Thanks.

Miles Bentley and other Law Specialists are ready to help you