Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Me and my partner are living in a damp flat. Every room is

Customer Question

Hi. Me and my partner are living in a damp flat. Every room is heavily contaminated with black mould which has continued to grow through out the past 11 months of living there. No action has been taken to make repairs or clean the mould by the landlord.As a Tennant, what can we do?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Do you ever dry washing in the house such as on radiators and if so do you have the windows open?

The reason is that it’s a very common reply from the landlord that this is caused by actions of the tenant.

Assuming that you do not dry washing in the house on radiators, then you have 2 courses of action at least:

You can make a complaint to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority with a view to having the house declared unfit for human habitation and

you can go and see a solicitor with a view to getting compensation for breach of section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

Here is a little reading: http://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/housing_conditions/Contractual_rights_including_implied_terms/section_11_landlord_and_tenant_act_1985

You may be eligible for legal aid for this so it would be worthwhile speaking to a solicitor although you might have to ring around a couple of dozen before you can find one that deals with this on legally aided basis.

Once you have filed disrepair claim, the landlord cannot give you notice until such time as the repairs have been resolved.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

My pleasure.