How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9094
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Assistant: How can I help? We recently had a extension &

Customer Question

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: We recently had a extension & loft conversation. Qoute we went with did not mention VAT and contract, signed by both parties stated the "fee in full". Builder did not complete job & I have since been trying to get certificate of electrical installation & commissioning of boiler he installed.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He has now said he will invoice me for VAT owed & etc work he did
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if he can retrospectively invoice me for VAT, as I assumed it was a total price, there was no VAT registration details on any paper work I had. And as contract stated any extra work needs to be agreed in writing can he do this now! We did pay him for extra stuff we knew about, but has now come up with a whole new list that we were not aware cost extra before now!
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

No, he has to tell you whether he is VAT registered before he invoices you - to ensure he can charge the VAT element of his invoice. If he does this later then this is his problem and he cannot claim it on top of the agreed price at a later date which is what he appears to be doing. Accordingly, I would recommend you threaten to report him to Trading Standards (tel: 03454 040506) unless he agrees to complete the job and so forth. You have may to use another builder and sue the original one if you incur any further costs (via the website).

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Good morning, if you could please leave a rating and click “submit” I would be very grateful.

Or if you can confirm whether I answered the question to your satisfaction.

Many thanks,