chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I spoke to one of your team today about requiring a refund

Customer Question

I spoke to one of your team today about requiring a refund from Google Play
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was in Thailand (still are) when I purchased the item on 8th Nov 2019. They now say that they cannot refund me as I'm not in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sent four requests for a refund and the latest - Whilst I am very angry - today, I enclose below Order number: GPA.3351-0114-1651-23160..0
Order date: 8 Nov 2019 10:15:18 GMT
I have received an email from you saying that "can't provide a refund for this purchase because it doesn't meet with our policy".
I assume that the 'Policy' refers to me not being "only to users located in the European Economic Area and UK"
How is it that this policy never was a problem when I purchased this product EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT "located in the European Economic Area or UK"???
Surely the same rules MUST apply and you 'Stole' the money from my Bank Account on 8th Nov 2019?
It appears that these so called 'Rules' are one sided if this is the case and my consumer rights are pushed aside, even though I am a British Citizen?
Could you please forward the rule where it says you can accept payment but not responsibility for me NOT being in the UK at the time you 'Stole’ my money
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats about it I think. I did supply my card details on the earlier visit
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Order number: GPA.3351-0114-1651-23160..0
Order date: 8 Nov 2019 10:15:18 GMT

I have been trying since the 8th November to make a claim on a purchase that I had no idea I had made in the first place
I am a 70 year old pensioner and only ever download the free games
I was first aware of the purchase when £66.99 was taken out of my account on 8th November 2019 and as you can imagine I tried to make a refund right away
When I opened my account I was somewhat shocked at the fact that the item wasn't showing on my account, which stopped me from overcoming the first hurdle.
I then tried my mobile phone, where the item was visible and I tried to follow the steps very maticulously, but again my lack of experience in these matters let me down
In desperation I contacted the 'Fraudulent Purchase' – (2383-8940-9113)
- team and have just had a reply today (19th Nov) and say that a member of my family must have made the purchase. I do not have any family and as I'm here on my own this is a ludicrous suggestion
My last hope is that you can help me in my plight to get my £66.99 refunded as I feel that this is an underhanded way of getting money from vulnerable people like myself
Peter Charlesworth
Order date: 8 Nov 2019 10:15:18 GMT
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 days ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It looks like your question was meant for another company. You’ve reached JustAnswer, a paid service that matches people with questions to Professionals with answers in areas like Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Financial, Legal, Home Improvement and more.

Would you like to continue with a specific question to our Experts, or would you like us to cancel your question and offer a refund?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I would like to know if I am entitled to a refund as I am out of the country, holidaying in Thailand. I was in Thailand when I made the purchase (which I was unaware of) and now they say that because I am not in the UK, I cannot claim a refund. Surely they shouldn't have taken payment from me in the first place?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 days ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 6 days ago.

Can you provide a copy of the traders terms and conditions?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have not got a copy of the Terms and Conditions. As I am encountering a closed door at every step, I want to forget the whole issue and just put it down to experience
Peter Charlesworth
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 4 days ago.

No problem at all

Unless I can assist any further, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

many thanks,