Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Is there a way to sue my landlord as he wanted to replace

Is there a way to sue my landlord as he wanted to replace the soil in the garden and said not more than 2 to 3 weeks and now it's been more than 2 months . Can I ask for compensation. It's a 1 year rent contract for a 4 bedroom house

Hello and thanks for requesting me - unfortunately this is a question which is not within my area of law. I will open to it to all other experts and someone will hopefully pick it up soon. Please do not reply to this as it will just lock the question back to me. Many thanks

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you with this.

Yes you can, but I dont think you can get more than £10,000 or so.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Actually it's the use of the garden / backyard so what kind of losses can i put in there ? Can I say I paid full rent but unable to use the facility in full ? And hence would like part of the rent back ?

Yes you can still sue for compensation.

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you and appreciated

Pleasure