How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5965
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.

This answer was rated:

Hello my name is cosmin
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: finchley central
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: This is my first
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to ask few questions and to take some advice
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

What is your question about?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was with someone and we have 2 kids...they are not on my name and I’m not on the birth certificate....we split up and she don’t let me to see the kids
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to put them on my name so I can see them legally
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can’t afford to pay right now for this call
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If u can advise me about my problem

I understand. We don't need the call, I can give you all the information you need here.

You can ask the court to make an order that you are given parental responsibility alongside you being awarded contact with your children.

In order to do this, you will need to arrange for and attend a mediation appointment with your ex first to see if an order can be agreed. Even if you and your ex end up having to go to court to sort out the differences, you will normally need to prove that you’ve been to a mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM). This is an introductory meeting to explain what mediation is and how it might help you. If your ex doesn't want to see a mediator, you should go to the MIAM on your own. You’ll then be able to prove you’ve tried mediation if you later want to go court. You can’t force your ex to go to mediation. In order to find a mediator you can use this link on the Family Mediation Council website here:

You’ll normally have to pay about £30 for an MIAM, although sometimes this first meeting is free. Follow-up sessions usually cost you and your ex about £80 each - most people need to go to 3 or 4.

The cost of mediation varies depending on where you live. Phone around to find the best price, but bear in mind the cheapest might not be the best.

If the MIAM does not work and you not able to agree to mediation you will need to go to court. This will require you to fill out form C100 which can be found here:

You can find guidance on filling out the application here:

Send the original form and 3 copies of it to the nearest court that deals with children, you can find your nearest court here:

The application will cost £215.

You can get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She doesn’t want to go nowhere

OK, well the mother does not have the power to make the decisions about when you see the children. So you will have to follow the advice above to bring this to mediation and then court if needs be.

I hope this helps, and please do accept and rate 5 stars for me.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 months ago.

My pleasure. Please accept and rate 5 stars.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 stars

Thanks - it's appreciated.

plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help