Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was convicted of Assault Battery against my ex wife. I met

I was convicted of Assault Battery against my ex wife. I met a new person, and felt that after an appropriate time, I should tell her about this. She googled me and found that in the local paper I had battered a woman, as local papers only post the basic facts. My circumstances are, that my conviction was based on my own confession that I approached my ex wife to confront her after she had been away for a few days, and didn`t tell me she was going to be, snatched her handbag and threw it to the floor to shock her. I would like a lawyer to explain in detail, for the purpose of my new partners understanding what Assault Battery really means. I didn`t physically hit my ex wife in this process. I just snatched her bag.
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: Assault Battery
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: In August 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Are you asking what the legal definition of assault and battery is?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes and can you reiterate that it does`nt mean that a physical assault has occured, that is, no physical violence ha occured

Correct. An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force. A battery is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly applies unlawful force to another.

So there does not need to be physical contact with battery. A person just needs to THINK there will be.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.