Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Just would like to know if a company is legally able to

HI . just would like to know if a company is legally able to retain my boat wich is in a tidal riverbed, because he says I am owning money to him for taking care which is not true. I would like to get my boat away from there thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the boat is in north wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing , I only have a letter from this company saying that some thing like a bailment is finish so he wants me to collect the boat , but in fact the boat is in the river bed not in his property.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this company have my boat with chains to the floor

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Do you have a contract, what does that say about taking possession?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ABOUT 7 TEARS AGO i AGREED WITH HIM TO MOOR THE BOAT IN THIS BOATYARD , SO THAT i WAS PAYING MONTHLY TO HIM FOR THIS . tHE PROBLEM WAS WHAEN i REALISED THIS COMPANY WAS NOT TAKING CARE OF MY PROPERTY SO i DECIDED NO TO PAY HIM ANY MORE. SINCE THER THE BOAT HAS BEEN JUST MOORED AND NOW THIS PERSON IS ASKING FOR AN ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNT OF MANEY. nEVER EVER MADE A CONTRACT IN WRITING
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
sORRY , BUT i PREFER TO GO AHEAD WRITTING BECAUSE MY ENGLISH IS NOT VERY GOOD

Ok - then no, he has no right to keep hold of it.

You can remove it. All he can do is sue you.

He has no right to retain your boat.

If he does, then you can seek an injunction to make him release it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE BOAT NEVER EVER HAS BEEN INTO HIS BOARYARD, JUST OUTSIDE THE BOATYARD WHERE THIS PERSON HA CHAINS TO MOOR MY BOA

Can you see my response above?
He can not chain your boat, its your property.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
SO THAT IN TERMS OF BAILMENT , SHOULD I RESPONSE THIS LETTER , AS HE IS CONSIDERING THAT HE IS A BAILEE AND IS GIVING ME THREE MONTHS TO COLLECT THE BOAT....

If it is not on his land then he can not make you move it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
AM I COMMITED THEN TO RESPONSE THE NOTICE OF END OF BAILMENT AND NOTICE OF SALE ?

I would respond and say that you refuse to let him touch your boat.

And you will get an injunction if he stops you.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK , I OF COURSE PREFER TO COMUNICATE WITH HIM, BUT WAS SUSPICIOUS IN TERMS OF ANSWERING COULD MEAN THAT I AM ASSUMING SOME KIND OF COMMINMENT WITH HIM, TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT I AM GOING TO COLLECT THE BOAT ONE OF THESE DAYS...( IN HIS LETTER IS TELLING ME THAT I NEED TO COLLECT THE BOAT , SOUND SILLY BECAUSE IT IS NOT EVEN IN HIS LAND....APPARENTLY THE RIVER BED BELONGS TO THE CROWN....

Yes. He can not hold your boat or make you move it.

Can I clarify anything about that?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
MORE OVER , THE LETTER HE SENT TO ME IS NOT RECORDED AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN , ACCORDING TO THE LAW

Yes. My reply remains the same.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
THANKS VERY MUCH. jUST A QUESTION , I BELEIVE THE DEAL HAS BEEN I PAY A SMALL AMOUNT FOR MAKING QUESTIONS DURING A WEEK, LIKE A TRIAL....SO THAT i CAN MAKE SOME MORE QUESTIONS IF NEED IT , FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS...AM I OK ? I WILL PROCEED TO RATE YOUR JOB. THANKS...

Yes, you can post some new ones. Its included in your trial.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH. BEST REGARDS

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.