Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I split with my partner 3 months ago, he moved out and is

Customer Question

hi I split with my partner 3 months ago, he moved out and is living with new partner, he had an affair behind my back for 6 months. he wants access to get some stuff from house but I want to be there when he does, I am concerned if he turns up and I am not there what he will do, I am not denying access, and think I am being reasonable, but he doesn't want to see me, what are my options?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no, we were not married, but were together for 13 years.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Lancashire, I had to change the locks as I lost my keys, at the time this happened, he told me not to contact him, so I didn't. he has turned up at the house tonight as knows I am working nights. I am just very concerned and I don't think I am being unreasonable when I say he can come and get what he needs, but I would rather be in the house when he does
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he has threatened to stop paying half the mortgage and bills unless I get him a key
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My main concern is why he wants access when I am not there, as I have lost all trust after what he has done, I don’t think I am being unreasonable asking him to call for stuff at the house when I am there?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, you do not need to give him access to your property when you are not there. Instead, you could ask him for him to be escorted by the police to collect his belongings and then escorted off the premises by the police. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he still pays half the mortgage and is threatening me by saying if I don't provide a key he will stop paying half, the house is currently up for sale, he moved out the day after I found out he was having an affair. I have my 2 dogs in the house and I just would feel uncomfortable having him turn up when I am not there

Hi thank you for your message, he can threaten his but then for the sake of argument if you defaulted because of this then it would mean he would still be liable anyway. I understand regarding having him there unaccompanied. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.