12826847

I have just found an unopened letter and should have entered

I have just found an unopened letter and should have entered a plea by 27/11 - this is for uninsured motor vehicle. I have insurance documents and can prove car is insured however have missed deadline to send documents to court by 27.11 (Ipswich) I can view details of cases for Thu 28.11 and Fri 29.11 and my name is ***** ***** but there is a large list of cases listed as For Application under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act - I'm not sure what this means. Could my case have already been tried under this listing? I am planning to drive to the court tomorrow am with evidence of insurance but want to understand if this is a waste of time. Many thanks
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi jo - can you answer the question above? Many thabks

You haven't asked a specific question that I can see?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve missed a deadline to respond to court plea on weds. I have evidence (insurance docs) to prove not guilty (uninsured car by DVLC). Am planning to go to court tomorrow if not too late - can’t see a case against me on the lists from thurs and Friday but there are lots of ‘application under criminal evidence act’ items listed and wasn’t sure what these are. They show as started?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you tell me what those items are? Are they cases being tried? Than you

i am not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

If you mean that you Didn't submit a plea by post then there is absolutely no point in attending court. There will either be a directed not guilty plea and in which case you just attend for the trial or you will have been convicted in absence.

If you can be clear about what has actually happened then I could probably offer more.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi jo - I was hoping I could still submit a plea if the case hadn’t yet been tried? Is that possible?

It depends what happened on Wednesday. Probably they have just directed a not guilty plea.

To be fair, they don't tend to leave it up to defendants if they don't plead in time. If the deadline was Wednesday then it will have progressed beyond plea but was this a plea by post?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes it was a plea by post - so they will possibly plead not guilty and summons me?

They should direct a not guilty plea and set it down for trial.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Jo

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/