Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I'm about to enter into legal proceedings for a child

Hi, I'm about to enter into legal proceedings for a child custody battle, and I need some advice
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing yet, the child isn't born yet either
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not with the mother, we never had a relationship. And she refuses to let me have majority custody
Hi, thank you for your message. Can you briefly explain your case?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Morning Joy.

So a woman I have had a fling with is pregnant with my child. We aren't in a relationship, we won't be, and we live separately, me in London, her in Leicester. We've exhausted options, including looking at abortion, her moving, me moving, and all not possible. This will be her 3rd child, and would be my first. She wants the baby to live with her. I want the baby to live with me. I know she is the mother and I know courts, society etc all find in her favour before the father. But this will be my only child, and there are enough reasons I believe for the baby to live with me and for her to be the one doing the visitation aspect. I don't care how long it would take, even if it means she has majority custody to start, but I want to be the major influence in my baby's life. It's early still, the baby isn't born and I just want to know what to do. She won't budge on me having the baby the majority of the time. And so only court seems the viable option. Please help