31090051

I have to attend court to be a witness against my partner

Hi, I have to attend court to be a witness against my partner for domestic assault. This was in Scotland. I do not wish to attend. I sent my citation back ticked I wasn't going and attached a copy of my statement retraction. However they say I'm still to go. What will happen if I don't go.. given that it's Scotland
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in cheshire in England. However the trial is in Edinburgh Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've written a statement retraction and sent it to the Edinburgh police as well as to the court.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My original statement was slightly wrong but I'm too scared to change it now. So I will be shredded in court anyway if I do go along and get asked questions about it. There's only one section wrong.. but it could damage me. I just don't want to go at all if I can help it.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. If you don’t attend court the court can grant a warrant for your arrest and you will be held in custody until the adjourned trial diet. This is not something you have a choice about. If you are cited you need to go I’m afraid. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.