How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2542
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My daughter does not want to go to her dad anymore. She will

This answer was rated:

Hi. My daughter does not want to go to her dad anymore. She will be 6 in December. My ex is angry at me and want to go to school to speak to the teacher. What to DO?
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: Do I need to see a solicitor?
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In somerset
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know if they will reply today?

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is there a court order in place for your child to spend time with her father?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have both custody and until one year ago it was fine to go every other week for one day, then suddenly she does not want to go
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it any advice you can give me?

So there is a court order that states she lives with you and spends time with her father, or that she lives with both of you at different times?

Please be specific - or attach a copy of the order using the paperclip.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi my court order Is not in English and yes she lives with me and he can take her every other week in weekends
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We agreed that he can pick up her every Thursday but this is between us

If there is no court order in place then both you and the father have equal parental responsibility for the child, which means that she can live or spend time with either of you at any time - and either of you can exercise your parental responsibility.

If you don't want to, or can't, agree together how the time split should be done, one or other of you will need to apply for a child arrangements order and the court will make a decision based on the child's best interests.

If you unilaterally decide to stop the father seeing the child, he is entitled to turn up at the school and collect her and then you may find yourself in the position of not having contact with her. It would be preferable for you and the father to reach an agreement, via mediation if possible, and if not, then for one of you to apply for a court order.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am happy for my daughter to see and spend time with him. The problem is that she does not want to go with him anymore
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not know why..but she does not want

Have you asked the father if there are any issues?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
of course and he said no issues.he said that she is fine when he come to pick up from school..however when he come to our house she does not want to go so he is blaming me for teaching her not to go which is not true
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What can I do to be in the best interest of my daughter?

You could try asking the school if they have a counsellor who can speak to your daughter.

Please accept and rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how I am paid for assisting you. You will still be able to ask clarification questions if you need to. Thank you.

Hello, can I ask that you kindly return to the site to rate positively for the assistance that you received as that is how I am paid for my time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But is there anything else I can do if she carry on refusing to go with him?

Please rate first and I will be happy to respond to your further question after you have rated four or five stars.

SASH_Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Legally I have given you the options available to you...and this is the legal forum.

Practically though, you could see your GP, talk to the father, talk to the child's teacher - see if there is an actual issue, and then take it from there.

And of course - if you think there are safeguarding issues regarding the child with the father, then you are in your rights to stop contact. But if you choose to do so, I would suggest you make an application to the court for a child arrangements order.