JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have just opened a unit and I sell online some customers

Customer Question

Hi I have just opened a unit and I sell online some customers have put claims in through Paypal when they know I have a 20working day turn around to make my products and then send out to customers, I am now not getting any orders coming in and can’t afford to pay for my unit or stock to fulfill orders what can I do
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to PayPal I have sent tracking numbers but some of these orders have not followed the 20 working day turnaround and asking for refunds
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes please that’s fine I will wait
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Is the problem with PayPal here? And they honour the refunds for customers due to delays?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hey yes that’s correct I have had so many problems with this and now have no money to pay for my lease for my unit or more stock to fullfill orders as they have put my business name down and haven’t followed my continuous updates or my updates on website
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 days ago.

I cannot take a call at the moment. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it. However, the call request is open to all experts - if you want to cancel the call then please send an email to [email protected]. I can continue with the question online if that suits?

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 days ago.

OK, so are you now faced with closure of your business or could you change the payment method from customers? I know PayPal is supposed to be an easy and safe way to send money.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That’s fine I will cancel the call but please could you still advise me via message
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I just don’t see anyway out I don’t know what will happen if I can’t pay the lease for my unit I moved in there on November 6th this year
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 days ago.

The lease on the unit would be terminated and you would owe the owner for the sum due - they could sue for the money if you didn't pay. If PayPal have been negligent or they have broken the contract with you then potentially you could pursue them for your losses.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok so basically what does that mean with the lease what will happen to me if I couldn’t afford to pay it
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

They would sue in the small claims court. The court will send documents to you to fill out (ie whether you admit or deny the claim)>if you deny the claim it will take months to be decided and if you lost then you would get a CCJ (county court judgment) against you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Would I be able to pay what I can afford as I couldn’t afford the full amount
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

Yes, if they sue then yes you can do. The owner would have to send you a letter before action first of all to demand payment. You can reply with an offer to pay with what you can afford. If they reject then they will sue in the small claims court and if you lose then the court will give them a CCJ. You can then send in a completed form N245 (attached) to ask to pay the CCJ in installments.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim