chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Is it possible to challenge a local authority on granting a

Hello - is it possible to challenge a local authority on granting a property development when there are many obvious anomalies with the approval ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk suffolk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have questioned the local authority but been pretty much fobbed off with out them actually answering specific questions that I ask.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did submit a complaint to the authority but in their reply, they still did not answer the specific questions and have closed the stage 2 complaint.

Thank you for your query. There is a possibility you could do this and it would involve a judicial review of the decision taken by the local council.

This would be a costly and lengthy exercise and you need to instruct solicitors specialising in administrative review and local government legislation. They would also give you an indication of whether your case has any merit.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you ...
but basically, you are just confirming that unless I have access to sufficient funds to make a legal standpoint, I can do nothing, and the local authority can pretty much do as they wish without reprisals ...
thank you

Unfortunately Yes.

An alternative course of action could be a formal complaint to the local council legal department. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you would then need to escalate the complaint to the local government ombudsman. Their details can be found at the following link: www.lgo.org.uk