Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been accused of racist abuse to a customer whilst at

I have been accused of racist abuse to a customer whilst at work, which is being investigated further by my company
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am an RAC patrol and work roadside as a mechanic. An incident happened with customer in which damage was caused to his car, and his claim to the RAC is for the damage and because I racially abused him which I feel he has added to secure compensation from the RAC.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for and what do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note I am mobile at present so may not be able to reply immediately, thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
2 years and 6 months.
I want to know where I stand with sort of allegation and whether I should be taking it further with police (he hasn’t informed police of this matter) and basically any advise you can give on how to deal with false accusations.

Thank you. I presume there is no evidence apart from what you and the customer saw?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That is correct

Thank you. Whilst the customer may have made a false claim, the issue is that there is no independent evidence of what actually happened and it is essentially your word against his. That could also go against him though, unless his evidence is very detailed and convincing. I doubt there is much point in you contacting the police as they will unlikely get involved in this, especially due to the lack of evidence. No one can prove what actually happened and they won’t take any action based on your word alone.

The main thing for you is whether the employer takes any formal action against you to be honest. They can investigate and they can decide whether there is enough there to warrant disciplining you.

If they do decide to discipline they would need to go through a formal disciplinary procedure, which you can appeal the outcome of if necessary. For now, it is best to jot down a full and detailed version of the incident so you have it written somewhere whilst it is still relatively fresh and answer any investigatory queries by the employer as best and accurately as possible.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes that’s fine, thank you for your help.

All the best