How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10526
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I rent a house 25th in November 2019 I paid first rent and

This answer was rated:

Hello my name is***** rent a house 25th in November 2019 I paid first rent and deposit but this house is look dirty and is discusting smell at home,kitchen was sticky and floor in the kitchen,I find it hole in toilet and living room and dirty wall in every room,when I was view this house lived in there family,they has furniture and bed I can saw this and second I think everything will be paint before my family move
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Should be I cant saw -sorry
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I been two times on agency but they didnt help for me
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like can I terminate an agreement?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

By law, landlords must ensure the property is in good repair under S.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

If they do not, they face prosecution by the local council and can be fined. It would also be breach of contract on their part and you would be within your rights to terminate the tenancy agreement.

The Local Authority Environmental Health Officers have powers under the Housing Act 2004. They have a duty to ensure that properties in their area are in a habitable condition, and will serve improvement notices on landlords of properties which are assessed, under the new Housing Health and Safety Rating System as having ‘category 1 hazards’.

Similar powers are available to Local Authorities under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if the property is considered a threat to public health.

I would therefore contact your local council (the housing department) in the first instance to report the matter and ask them if they can send someone out to do an inspection. You could terminate the agreement based on uninhabitable conditions but it would help if you had something in writing from the council before you do this.

If you do terminate and move out, assuming the landlord has your forwarding address they may try to sue you for breach of contract - you can defend the claim though (which is easy to do) and you can come back to this for guidance if it gets to that stage. Further if you want me to find the number for your local council to contact, can you confirm which area of the UK you live in and I will find the details for you.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I go tommorow to citizen advice for help?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is privat landlord but I rent a house from agency.

Yes, you can do. They may refer you back to this site though as they are not staffed by lawyers.

If you could either leave a rating and click “submit”, or confirm that I have answered your question for you, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you