INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My brother died and left his estate equally to myself

My brother died and left his estate equally to myself (brother), sister, younger brother and mother. I know the Residence Nil Rate Band can't be applied to siblings but what about my mother?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: England
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Do you mean the Will?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for your query. The Resident Nil Rate Band applies when inheriting from parents, not siblings.

The residence must be left to a spouse or civil partner or direct descendants. These include the deceased’s children, grandchildren, remoter descendants, descendants spouses and civil partners, step children and adopted children. These do not include the deceased’s siblings, nephews and nieces.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes I know that, but the estate was left to 3 siblings and my mother. Does the Nil Rate Band apply to her portion of the inheritance?

No it does not apply to the share gifted to your mother. It only applies to direct descendants.