How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1430
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have a question regarding my rent contract. I sign a

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question regarding my rent contract. I sign a contract with the landlord for 12 months. Due to some issues I have to move out. in the contract it is written that I have to give 2 month notice if I want to move out, which I did. however the landlord said that I have to pay the rent until he find a new tenant and pay for the marketing fee. Does he has the right to do so?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: bristol
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No I had to move out because I have a medical condition and I need someone to be with me, and in this flat the landlord refused to let more than one person to live in the apartment.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks


Welcome to Just Answer.

I am currently reviewing your question and i will return to you shortly.


Thanks for your patience, i assume you are still within the 12 months period when you terminated the tenancy agreement. If so the landlord is permitted to recover the rent you agreed to pay until the he finds a new tenant or the end of the 12 months period. However there are other ways you can try to persuade the landlord to release you from paying rent up until he finds a new tenant.

Do you understand what i have stated if yes i will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand.

Please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to discuss the matter

The ways you can persuade the landlord are noted below:

  • Find a tenant to replace you because the landlord may take longer than you to find one
  • Offer your deposit
  • If there are issues in the house the landlord failed to fix which he was aware of you can use this as a bargaining tool to state that you were paying full rent when the property was not up to scratch.

With regards ***** ***** marketing fee charged the landlord is permitted to charge a fee for an early termination but this fee must be something he would have paid due to your early termination. Therefore you may wish to ask him to provide proof that he would incurred the fee he has charged and whether this is something he would have done in any event when the tenancy ended after 12 months.

Do you understand what i have stated if not please let me know?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your respond, yes I understand everything . But I have a question regarding the termination. so what is the benefit of giving a two months notice if I still have to pay for the remining period?

A benefit is it gives the landlord time to start looking for your replacement which you would hope he was actively undertaking. Further it gives you time to ensure you get the property cleaned and also you move all your belongings from the property.

I hope i have clarified the position if not please let me know.

If yes please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service provided in future.


Anthony Chendo and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you very much

Your welcome and thanks for the rating