How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3889
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My younger brother died in UK in November 2018. and have

This answer was rated:

My younger brother died in UK in November 2018. I am British and have lived in Africa since 1997.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have my home in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia but I am currently working in Accra, Ghana. This makes it extremely difficult to communicate with UK government departments and because my job is demanding on my time I have not yet been able to obtain the birth, marriage and death certificates which I need in order to prove my status as next of kin. My brother did not leave a will, he was not married, had no children or other sibblings other than me and I believe that I should be the legal personal representative. I am a British citizen, temporarily resident in Ethiopia and Ghana. What I would like to know is: "Is there a time limit in which I must prove my relationship and if so what is the time limit? Also, if someone else applies for Letters of Administration (and I am the rightful next of kin) what happens?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, I am in Africa and I understand that a lawyer is not necessary for the purpose of proving my relationship.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that my brother had taken out an Annuity with Prudential in UK and that as next of kin I may be entitled to receive the proceeds of the Annuity (if the Annuity provides for this). I am 71 years of age and have a wife and two teenage children and if my brother had an estate of any value I wish to make sure that I receive any amount which I should be entitled to.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can wait for 2 more days.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good evening.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please continue your search. Thankyou.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am reviewing your information now and will revert back as soon as possible

Are you looking to prove relationship in order to claim as beneficiary under intestacy rules or are you looking to apply for letters of administration if you suspect noone has already administered his estate. Was your brother buried in the UK and do you know who arranged the funeral?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good Day, thank you for getting back to me. I am primarily looking to prove my relationship in order to claim as beneficiary under intestacy rules, but I was under the impression that to do this I would also have to apply for letters of administration. I have been in touch with Prudential in UK with whom my brother had taken out an Annuity and I was informed by Prudential that letters of administration had already been applied for by someone (unknown). I am concerned that someone could be trying to claim that they are the next of kin so that they can claim against the Annuity. I think that my brother was cremated in UK, but I do not (right now) know who arranged the funeral. I only found out about my brother's death when a cousin in UK sent me an email and at the time I had just started a short term employment with a new employer in Tbilisi, Georgia. In fact I had arrived in Tbilisi only one day before my brother's death and due to my circumstances I could not attend the funeral. Only since July 2019 did I become interested in the situation after my son in UK had been contacted by a few people who were trying to track me down as my brother's next of kin (due to his intestacy).

Hi, thank you for the clarification. In that case I would suggest that you check online if probate has actually been granted and you will get the details then for who to contact. your son if he is in the UK can do the leg work for you to go and find the individual/conpany in person.

The online search you can do here it costs £1.50:

Alternatively you can send the request by post here:

I really hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your ealiest convenience.

All the best

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3889
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
SolicitorRM and 9 other Law Specialists are ready to help you