F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I wanted to sell the house immediately because it had over

I wanted to sell the house immediately because it had over 6months arrears and I was going through a nasty divorce at the same time. The house was in my name but he put down the deposit, then the Ex put on a hold on the selling. I spoke to those people that can buy your house within 7 days to see if they could still buy the house with a charge on it and they said yes. Before that We at the time did put the house up for sale with an estate agent and it fell through due to EX. changing his mind and that's when he put a hold on the house. When I spoke to the quick sale people they said they could sell the house with a charge on it. The offer from them was £250k and I verbally excepted because of the divorce but then my original estate agent said I could get a better offer and he did of £370k. I went to court via the mortgage company and told the judge that I got the first offer of £250k but the Ex said he could get a higher offer and so the judge gave him 1 month to get a higher offer or its the first offer. The Ex did nothing as it was a stalling tactic and except £370k. In the meantime, I had corresponded with the quick sales people and told them that their offer was declined and I have except the second offer somewhere else. Now the quick sale people are asking for the commission from the sale of the house because I signed a contract with them and I did with 5 other estate agents as well but they are not asking for a commission. Are they entitled to the house commission as the judge declined their offer not me.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

to clarify -

you sold the property for £370k and not the £250K offered by the quick sale company?

what does it say on the contract about their fee's?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dont know! But I guess it would have been when the house would of been sold via them.

I would be inclined to simply write back to the quick sales company and tell them that this was out of your control, the judge insisted that another offer was taken and therefore, you are closing your file.

Don’t be bullied, you need to bully them.

If they feel that they are entitled to the money, they are going to have to take you to court and you can defend it.

They are probably trying it on to be honest.

From experience, I can tell you that on the day of completion they would find some spurious fault with the property and reduce the price even further but that’s academic now because it didn’t happen.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.