Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My boyfriend is in jail and his solicitor try to get him on

Customer Question

My boyfriend is in jail and his solicitor try to get him on bail. What is the procedure to get someone on bail?
JA: What was your boyfriend charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?
Customer: 1 Engage in controlling / coercive behaviour in an intimate / family relationship
2 Assault by beating
3 Criminal damage to property valued under £5000 The upcoming date of hearing is 10th January
JA: Where did the criminal damage occur?
Customer: He dropped my phone, which was literally £50 value and I already bought a new one.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I already went down to the police and made a withdrawal statement, as I don`t want to continue with any legal charges and want him to be released. The judge has my second statement
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Has he been remanded in custody?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes. You see the first charge: Engage in controlling / coercive behaviour in an intimate / family relationship
This is, what they want to question now, because he had a romanian translator, but his mother langue is Hungarian. He confessed this, because he didn`t understand the question at all. So there is a new date given: 10th January and solicitor try to get him on bail now
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Ok. So what's to stop the Solicitor re-applying for bail now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
? I don` understand your answer. The solicitor applying now, for the first time. And I don`t want to stop her, I want him to be released!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I want him to be on bail! I basically want all the charges to be dropped. I want him to be free.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Did you report it to the Police?
If so why, if you didnt want him charged?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What chance the solicitor has to get him on bail - with all my withdrawal statement in her hand? A third party name and address has been provided, but he is a Romanian citizen, just arrived in UK on 28th September, lo
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
By the time I went down to the police to withdraw my statement as of what happened 2 days befor, they already sentenced him and he was in jail. Police told me, I can`t withdraw my first statement.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He had an interview at the police station on the very next day, with a Romanian translatior, who he didn`t understand and he basically confessed everything, what they asked him to confess, whitout understanding, he just said YES, YES, YES to everything
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

He wont have been sentenced, he can't be if there is a trial.

He will have been remanded in custody pending trial. There is a big difference

What is it you want to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The solicitor applied for bail. She said, there might be a decision on Tuesday. Will he get the bail, or not? What you think?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is not sentenced yet. And I don`t even know, if this will be a trial, or just a `hearing`, I don`t know, how it works in the UK. One thing, I`m sure of: the solicitor would not have apply for bail, if she believes, there`s no chance for bail....This is, what I try to believe, at least.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will he get the bail, or not? What you think?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Why was he remanded in the first place?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I answered this question in my very first message. Please let me know, if you don`t have time for me to answer my very strait forward questions, so I try to ask someone else. Thank you!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You never said WHY he was remanded.

You only said he didnt understand and answered yes. That is NOT why the Court remanded him

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Well, than you should know why they didn`t release him. The hearing - where I was present personally lasted for 2,5 minutes. he judge came in, he said,he understand, that Sandor didn`t understand the charges at the police interview due to wrong language translator, therefore, this need to be repeated with a Hungarian translator and Sandor said, he is not guilty in point 1 Engage in controlling / coercive behaviour in an intimate / family relationship
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I got an email from met.police.uk after that hearing on the 26th saying: "I understand you were present at court yesterday so are aware this case has been adjourned until 10th January 2020 for sentencing." And his solicitor applied for bail
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

How would I know when they didnt release him when I Was not at the hearing?
You can only be remanded for a number of conditions:

1) You are likely to abscond

2) You are likely to contact the witness

3) You are likely to commit further offences

4) For your own protection.

If I was not at the hearing, just assist me and tell me why I 'should know why they didn`t release him'?
What is it you want to know from me?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Non of the above was mentioned on the court hearing on the 26th November
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
And there isn't a real chance of anything like that
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The solicitor applied for bail. What real chances he has for bail? I want to help the solicitor, but she's not allowed to have contact with me
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

There MUST have been. The Police have to APPLY to remand in custody, the Court just doesn't do it.

It can only be on one of the grounds above.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I was there. I personally talked to the prosecutor. Ì begged him to drop the charges. So why they kept him? I don't know. But the solicitor said it's ridiculous and applied for bail.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

You can't make them drop. You are a witness. You have NO SAY in the prosecution.

If you didnt want him charged you should not have reported it.

But the court can ONLY remand on the grounds above.

The Court wont grant it because they just feel like it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
So why the solicitor applied for bail, if you don't believe this will be granted?....
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Forgive me, where did I say that it wouldn’t be granted?