TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My son in law is buy a house and told he has to pay 5% on

Customer Question

My son in law is buy a house and told he has to pay 5% on the price of his house for tax as my daughter owns the house I and her father live in. We are retired therefore have no where else to live nor can raise a mortgage of our own. Should she be penalised for this. She has never lived in our house.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. On the contract for buying my son in law's house there is an amount of approx £6,000 for tax as my daughter already has a 'house of residence'. But she has never lived here, it is for me and her father
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 days ago.

Your daughter need not live in the house to owe the tax. The tax is owed because they have ownership in another property and are now buying another