How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26857
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Law Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My son in law is buy a house and told he has to pay 5% on

Customer Question

My son in law is buy a house and told he has to pay 5% on the price of his house for tax as my daughter owns the house I and her father live in. We are retired therefore have no where else to live nor can raise a mortgage of our own. Should she be penalised for this. She has never lived in our house.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. On the contract for buying my son in law's house there is an amount of approx £6,000 for tax as my daughter already has a 'house of residence'. But she has never lived here, it is for me and her father
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

Your daughter need not live in the house to owe the tax. The tax is owed because they have ownership in another property and are now buying another