How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1343
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My friend accused me of slavery and slandering me. In the

This answer was rated:

My friend accused me of slavery and slandering me. In the past I have been helping her with family law case for the custody of children. In a statement I wrote that I would take care of and her children til she got a job or on benefits. Will I be held liable. Should I write a statement to the judge explaining why I have withdrawn from looking after her. I had to ask her not to come back while she was at her boyfriend.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm was the statement written for the courts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was my statement I made to the court to support her.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Court didn’t ask me to write it. It was summit as court asked how they would support their children.

Hi, thank you for your message. If you are being accused of slavery and they are taking legal action I would strongly recommend that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location). You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending a LawWorks Clinic. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau ( For more information please visit: or Personal Support Unit for advice about a legal problem (For more information please visit:

Unless if was an order by the court you are not likely to be held liable. I would advise that you keep any evidence to support your case of no longer helping them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Joy hasn’t accused me in court.

Hi, thank you for your message. Ok then you should be fine. Because the circumstances have changed you should just keep all evidence in case she brings you back to court. It is advised to keep all evidence, text messages, emails, etc... I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner and just answer will credit me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She slandering me and sending threatening texts that she will do this. I didn’t give a contract she was living like a lodger. Work she carried out was on her own accord. She never agreed payment or she was going to do these job. She took tasks on herself then demanded money. I gave her three bed house to live in for five months and she agreed to pay £500 a month bills as well then I moved other tenants in as she wasn’t paying. She started fighting with my tenants so she moved in with me. Again never asked her to do anything. She would do jobs without consulting me first. One day she complaint so I listed rents she owed me and £720 legal bill that I paid for her. I estimated the jobs amount. Though I never agreed for her to do the work. I have several witnesses that heard her say for you letting me stay here I will work for you. I also replied no I don’t need any work doing. After I made list I was careful to tell not to do any work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My mistake was making the list
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know I might need a lawyer. That’s why I am asking questions on here to clarify this
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Terms of law chances of court believing her

Hi, thank you for your message. As there is no written agreement between you it is not likely that her claim will stand. Moreover, if she is considered a friend she will need very strong evidence to prove that there was an intention to create legal relations (a binding contract). It appears to me that she is merely making threats of legal action. If you feel harassed you will need to contact the police who will investigate the matter and then the courts may imposed a retraining order against her to prevent her from contacting you further. You can contact your local police here:

Joy Nicholas and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you