12826847

Can you sue for unlawful detention

Can you sue for unlawful detention

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

in what circumstances please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Prison officer who placed prison on lockdown due to protest outside. Refused to let anyone leave despite being told that they want to leave

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

That is not unlawful detention. That is a legitimate reason. Unlawful detention would be something like an arrest where there is absolutely no basis at all.

They only have to be able to justify their decision not to release you and this was clearly a public order issue.

I realised that this is massively inconvenient. I have been caught up in prison lockdowns when I have other things to do and I know that they are annoying but they are not unlawful

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.